Girls on the Run
This spring, 20 girls from 3rd through 5th grade will be participating on Newberry’s Girls on the Run team!
Parents and team members are encouraged to check this website for information about practices, curriculum topics for the week, and for information about the GOTR final 5K at the end of the season. The final 5K will be held Saturday, June 1 at Toyota Park in Bridgeview.
- March 5th – May 31st
- Every Tuesday and Friday from 3- 4:15
- Students will meet coaches at 3 o’clock on the Newberry playlot, dressed and ready to exercise
- Each practice is accompanied by a lesson, such as leadership or self-esteem. Parents are encouraged to check the website to see what the girls learned each week and discuss the topics at home.
- Parents will be given a “grown-up guide”, detailing the GOTR curriculum at the beginning of the season.
End of Season 5K Run
- All girls are automatically registered to participate in the end of the season 5K run as a way to celebrate their accomplishments over the season.
- The run will take place on June 1st at Toyota Field in Bridgeview. More details will be provided when they are available.
- Friends and family members are encouraged to attend and participate as a show of support, and because it will be fun!
- Each girl will be asked to name a “running buddy” – an adult with whom they want to run the 5K. This could be a sister, brother, mother, friend, etc. If a girl does not pick a buddy, a volunteer buddy will be provided to her on race day. Talk to your child- see if you can be her buddy!
- Carlette Bailey- Science Teacher
- Heidi Farrand- Music Teacher
- Shannon Kelly- 4th Grade Teacher
- Amanda Witczak- Counselor
We are excited to get to know all of the girls and are expecting a great season!
For more information about Girls on the Run Chicago, please visit their website. There are plenty of ways to get involved and support our girls!
866.483.0172 between January 28 and February 1. Please Ms. Bailey or Ms. Farrand if you have questions.